Re: Universal Translator need

[ Home ][ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Brewster Kahle
Wed, 15 Oct 97 15:08:04 PDT

At 08:14 PM 9/2/97 -0700, Stewart Brand wrote:
>At 7:16 PM -0700 9/2/97, Brewster Kahle wrote:
>>Here is one idea for keeping "documents alive":
>> * Collect a large number of important public documents in the target
formats
>>(even if you want other documents in that format alive)
>> * Make them very public so that everybody can have access to the originals
>> * Collect, catalog, and archive all programs or annotations dealing with
>>these formats as people write translators and emulators. Make these public.
>
>I like the pragmatic sound of this.
>
>It does suggest a few responsibility-taking entities managing the process.
>Which raises the further question: what kind(s) of institution should be
>engaged or created to take the lead in maintaining digital continuity?

I like the idea of a "few" entities. 1 is the wrong number and 100's
probably wrong as well. Starting with 1 we could learn and see if it
catches on.

possible attributes:
* independent enough to take risks
* integrated enough to get help and shielding
* technical enough to deal with terabytes
* culturally aware enough to make the collection worthwhile
* rich enough to deliver and continue
* chuztpa enough to try
* fun enough to work there.

Are there others we know that find this their passion? Maybe the
millenium, the older wealthy technical entreprenuers, and possibly the
getty could help spur this effort.

-brewster

  • Reply: Stewart Brand: "Re: Universal Translator need"