Re: Universal Translator need

[ Home ][ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Stewart Brand
Wed, 15 Oct 97 15:09:16 PDT

At 4:23 PM -0700 9/3/97, Brewster Kahle wrote:
>I like the idea of a "few" entities. 1 is the wrong number and 100's
>probably wrong as well. Starting with 1 we could learn and see if it
>catches on.
>
>possible attributes:
> * independent enough to take risks
> * integrated enough to get help and shielding
> * technical enough to deal with terabytes
> * culturally aware enough to make the collection worthwhile
> * rich enough to deliver and continue
> * chuztpa enough to try
> * fun enough to work there.

Good list.

T&B might take as a product the creating or inspiring 1 or 2 such entities
new, and the engaging of 1 or 2 existing entities. Existing institutions
with great resources like the Library of Congress or British Library might
be goaded/encouraged into taking a role, which might shame other
institutions like them. I'd like to see a dozen or so give it a real try,
and that'll likely boil down to 2-4 doing the real work over time.