Re: Golden Canon: Custodianship vs Technology

[ Home ][ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Brewster Kahle
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 09:35:34 -0800

At 09:21 AM 2/20/98 -0800, Stewart Brand wrote:
>At 8:26 PM -0800 2/19/98, Martin Greenberger wrote:
>>The eye opener for me in this time-and-bits
>>discussion has been that whereas digital media and Internetting may be
>>expected to affect custodianship very positively, so far they are having
>>just the opposite effect with respect to media continuity.
>
>Yup, that's the headline and the bottom line.

Not to toot my own horn, but the Internet Archive and Alexa are a major
step towards digital continuity. I dont know of any other effort of this
scope. 8Terabytes and growing.

Interestingly, they can be done and they are not that hard. The
alternatives electronic environments (like AOL or Lexis/nexis) do not even
leave open the possibility of a independent libraries and archives.

I suggest we strengthen the efforts of the Internet Archive,
institutionalize it, refine it, in order to realize digital continuity. If
anyone would like to help with the Internet Archive, please let me know: it
needs more collections, more organization, better facilities, and more users.

-brewster