Re: Golden Canon thought

[ Home ][ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Stewart Brand
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 17:48:34 -0800

At 5:41 AM -0500 2/19/98, Esther Dyson wrote:
>You're in danger of getting involved with some nasty legal issues here.
>Many IP owners lack a sense of humor. SImply not charging users is not
>enough to qualify for fair use. Whether the law makes sense or not is a
>different matter, but it would be a shame to get tied up with these knots.

Indeed, Intellectual Property is a deep mire these days. Esther has
experienced its quicksand qualities in some of the Net issues that
Electronic Frontier Foundation has engaged.

Someday maybe Long Now's Library could and should engage the issues deeply.
Now is probably not the time. Let's do what's easy.

I realize that view contradicts my previous note about Whole Earth Catalog
free-and-easiness with fair use...