Re: Golden Canon thought

[ Home ][ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Stewart Brand
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 17:48:32 -0800

At 9:38 PM -0800 2/18/98, Kevin Kelly wrote:
>>1) Would it be best to start with documents in the
>>public domain?
>>
>>2)Would it be practical to obtain individual permissions
>>from intellectual property owners?
>>
>>3) Would it be best to create a situation where copyright
>>holders proactively offer a free licence to the Canon?
>

>I'd use a generous notion of fair use. Experimental, not for profit, for
>research purposes only.
>
>At worse, I'd consider the Golden Canon trying to shape copyright
>understanding.

A while back, Danny Hillis suggested that authors and/or publishers might
well pay to be included in a sufficiently gaudy Canon. Reverse copyright,
so to speak. I don't think this is necessary or desirable, but it
indicates how the value might flow.

The Whole Earth Catalog, with its lengthy text excerpts in book reviews,
pushed fair use to a new level because it was all good news---all our
reviews were positive, aiding book sales. A Canon also has that quality.