Re: durable digital in current technology-->stewardship

[ Home ][ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Stewart Brand
Mon, 20 Apr 1998 09:24:59 -0700

At 9:07 AM -0500 4/20/98, Patricia Galloway wrote:
>Stewart Brand pointed to the perils of dependence on stewardship; it
>seems to me that the most secure infrastructure for the preservation of
>information is an immortal institution whose self-preservation is bound
>up with the preservation of the information: religions and governments
>come to mind (e.g., medieval scriptoria and chancelleries). Without
>continuity in such an infrastructure, information encoded in even the
>most durable forms will be lost (e.g., Stonehenge).

Indeed. I'd like to see, for example, the Vatican archives and the Library
of Congress given way more respect, clout, and funds for their preservation
function.