Re: durable digital with current technology

[ Home ][ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Alexander Rose
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 13:02:05 -0800

Jim Holder wrote:

> Storage Technology, for one, markets tape cartridge silos which hold
> something like 6,000 cartridges. The cartridges are picked by a
> robot. Multiple of these silos can be linked, automating access to
> terabytes of data.

I like the quintuple redundancy and comparitive analysis idea but I would
distrust mag tape as the primary media. I really think an optical media
would eliminate the risks associated with mag tape in an age of nuclear
weapons and other potentially massive (or even slow but persistant)
magnetic fluxuations. Read/Write media also leaves open the door for
alteration of the data in between migrations which is probably not good
either.

--
Alexander Rose
(Executive Director)

The Long Now Foundation 415.561.6582 "fostering long term responsibility" FAX.561.6297

http://www.longnow.org