Re: RE: Copyright and Preservation Copies

[ Home ][ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Robert Spindler
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 11:49:39 -0700

Re: today's posts re: Copyright provisions for preservation copying I
believe it is the fair use provisions of copyright law that allow
production of one copy for preservation purposes, but I also believe
these concepts are threatened by the current WIPO proposals and
legislation currently before Congress (I believe there are two important
proposals currently before Congress, one proposes to extend copyright
protections for an additional 25 years and the other deals with limiting
fair use provisions with an eye toward the electronic intellectual
property arena.) I know that the library and archival communities have
grave concerns about the content of both of these bills and the effect
they will have on future scholarship and creative activity. Perhaps
someone more involved with the very current lobbying efforts on these
bills can give us a more precise update on where we stand?

In short, the legislative and commercial intellectual property creators
are moving musch faster than the preservation and research communities
on these issues and it appears the resulting legislation may well
reflect that....

Rob Spindler, Head
Dept. of Archives and Manuscripts
Arizona State University Libraries, Box 871006 Tempe, AZ 85287