Re: Preservation of digital information

[ Home ][ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Stewart Brand
Mon, 2 Mar 1998 11:20:17 -0800

At 10:50 AM -0800 3/2/98, Eric Doehne wrote:
>More fodder for our discussion in todays NY Times business section:
>March 2, 1998, Unlocking the Secrets of the Digital Archive Left by
>East Germany, by Gerd Meissner
>
>Describes the difficulty of reading these archives and their
>historical importance. This is a good test case, but requires solving
>multiple hard problems.

Another good German test case was brought up by Jaron Lanier at the Time &
Bits conference---Virtual Berlin. It is a rich virtual reality of Berlin,
including old and new buildings, detailed traffic lore, etc. Highly
valued, highly used. It has been kludge-migrated for nearly a decade, but
it is so complexly imbedded in an array of evanescent technologies, its
future seems utterly doomed. Historically it is a terrible loss-to-come,
with apparently nothing that can be done to stave off its fate.

  • Reply: Peter Graham, RUL: "Re: Preservation of digital information"
  • Reply: Peter Graham, RUL: "Re: Preservation of digital information"