Re: Content for the deep archive (time capsule)

[ Home ][ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Martin Diekhoff
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 11:11:59 -0800

The original idea was to create a model for something that's cheap,
accessible, long-lasting, and so on... so that this wouldn't just be just
another long-term storage project using digital technologies, but would
address the larger problems of digital preservation for a wide scope of
users. Does this meet the criteria? I can't see a 3/4 million $ machine
depreciating in price enough to become broadly accessible anytime
reasonably soon enough to help solve the problem, even at normal
computer hardware price declinations...

On another note, I read an article last week that suggests Congress is
currently considering legislation to strictly limit fair use policy for archival
of web/online material. Has anyone heard more about this? I don't have
the address for the article, though I think it was a ZDNet clip.

-Martin

Stewart Brand wrote:

> At 1:06 PM -0800 2/16/98, Alexander Rose wrote:
> >Of course it may be easier to just buy the writer once you are doing
this
> >many pages.
>
> That's a very interesting option. It never occurred to me: duh. It does
> sound like a Clock/Library kind of tool.

Yes for sure but it is currently 3/4 million $ US. But I have a feeling that
discounts are possible if the right connections are tapped...