Re: LA Times Coverage

[ Home ][ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Stewart Brand
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 17:50:06 -0800

At 4:38 PM -0800 2/16/98, Alexander Rose wrote:
>Saw this piece in the online LA Times. Did anyone get the print
>version? The place I went was sold out up here.
>
>http://www.latimes.com/HOME/NEWS/BUSINESS/UPDATES/lat_getty0216.htm

Good find, Zander. With the piece is a Q&A with Jeff Rothenberg, who was
at the T&B lunch and at the panel discussion. (We should involve him in
future T&B work.) The Q&A is at

http://www.latimes.com/HOME/NEWS/BUSINESS/UPDATES/lat_qanda0216.htm

Here's a good quote...

Q: Should we save everything?

A: We'll only save a small portion of the data we generate no matter how heroic
our efforts. It's not a good idea to save everything, and probably most
things deserve
to be lost. Archivists only save things that are considered to be of
enduring value.
But because of the short life cycle of digital information, it's hard to
figure out
what will have enduring value. It's relatively easy to decide when a
document is 100
years old whether it's of enduring value, but it's pretty hard to decide
when it's only 5
years old, which is when we're going to have to decide if we want to have
a shot at
saving it.

  • Reply: Jaron Lanier: "Re: LA Times Coverage"