Re: Universal Translator need

[ Home ][ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Stewart Brand
Wed, 15 Oct 97 15:55:08 PDT

At 10:28 AM -0800 9/8/97, Kevin Kelly wrote:
>As an example. Every time a document is translated, it reduces its
>longevity by 30% -- because each document has only n number of
>translations it can endure, just as a paper copy can only be xeroxed a
>fixed number of times. But every time you exercise it, it increase its
>mortality by 20%.

[snip]

>While bits may migrate merrily everywhere in real time, in long time,
>they migrate with difficulty and fuzziness.

One, I think that fate is unacceptable. Digital material "should" be
potentially immortal and immaculate. Culture "should" be able to count on
the continuity of digit-arrays at least as much as the continuity of
stone-arrays.

Two, I think our group needs to treat it as unacceptable---a disease to be
cured, not just ameliorated.