Re: Universal Translator need

[ Home ][ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Stewart Brand
Wed, 15 Oct 97 15:37:08 PDT

At 8:24 PM -0500 9/4/97, Jaron Lanier wrote:
>>The entire tank battle in the Persian Gulf War has been recorded and
>>replayed countless times via computer by the US Army.

>This a great example in terms of historical importance, but it is not as
>challenging as others we'll come across - so it probably isn't the best
>candidate for a "hard case".

Jaron, you may not know that the Battle of 73 Easting is intensely
interactive. Players may occupy any tank on either side and alter any
conditions they want (such as who has night-viewing capability), and play
out the battle to N different conclusions. As I understand it, most of the
Armored-Cav officers in the Army have now personally fought that battle
many times over. It really is an historic "world," in both senses. An
historic event, modelled historically.

Kevin, am I right that it's also playable by Net, at a distance?

  • Reply: Stewart Brand: "Re: Universal Translator need"
  • Reply: Kevin Kelly: "Re: Universal Translator need"